I’ve just spent a frustrating hour trying to license the XenDesktop express proof of concept farm I built a couple of weeks ago. The problem was truly strange and appears to be a bug on the Citrix site at the moment.
After installing XenDesktop Express with the Licensing component, it went into a trial period. So I went about getting a proper license…
In the Desktop Studio, under Configuration > Licensing you will see you are still in a trial mode.
To sort this out, I tried to go here in my local Chromium browser: http://deliver.citrix.com/go/citrix/activatexdexpress?userId=guest
After entering details you get the chance to download the biggest license ever – nearly 1gb!
Luckily its a typo. Mine was 11kb. This saved itself in my Downloads folder as a file called “XenDesktop_Express_Edition_License.lic”.
I put this in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Licensing\MyFiles on my XenDesktop service and restarted the license service.
Back in Desktop Studio I selected Add License:
Bang. The “Citrix License Server currently unavailable” bit sounds bad. I check services.msc and the service has indeed fallen over - in the event log you get this helpful message:
Faulting application name: lmadmin.exe, version: 220.127.116.11, time stamp: 0x4f02e435
Faulting module name: MSVCP80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcddc6c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000038db
Faulting process id: 0xb78
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd8ce15b8b4c3d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Licensing\LS\lmadmin.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCP80.dll
Report Id: 9aa66add-f8d4-11e1-a99d-02faf2a05cc2
Then this post on the Citrix forums suggested I check my .lic file’s contents, and indeed it is an HTML file! The download page for the file I actually want in fact. I remove it from MyFiles and the Citrix Licensing service will start at least. So I move and rename my .lic file to .html and open it in the browser I just used and hey presto!
I click “Download your file manually” and it downloads another file called XenDesktop_Express_Edition_License.lic, which this time is the actual file. Madness. Saved this in the MyFiles folder on the XenDesktop server again, restart the Licensing service again and refresh the Configuration > Licensing part of the Desktop Studio, and its all working fine:
I think something needs fixing on Citrix’s website!
One more issue in my case was the licenses were now in the wrong mode. I could see the Concurrent licenses but also had the message “Can’t find a valid license – no suitable licenses are available”
To fix this, I selected “Edit Product Version” in the actions tab…
Then changed the model to Concurrent rather than User/Device Licensing. No idea how this ended up on the wrong mode…
Finally! All licensed.