Monday, 6 December 2010

EdgeSight 5.3 and the empty reports

I’ve just got EdgeSight 5.3 working, running with SQL Server 2008, after an unlikely amount of messing around.  This surprised me as when I last installed this, using SQL Express instead of full-blown SQL 2008, it all went well. 

This time I at first tried to be too up to date and used two Windows Server 2008 R2 machines for the website and SQL parts, backed by SQL Server 2008 R2. Turns out that SQL Server 2008 R2 is too advanced for EdgeSight 5.3 – it only supports 2005 and 2008.  I wasn’t sure if Windows Server 2008 R2 was any good either, so went back to 2008.

Then I tried using a separate shared SQL Server which didn’t have Reporting Services on, planning to use SQL Express with Advanced Features (including Reporting Services) on the website box.  That didn’t work out either as the version of Reporting Services you get with SQL Express can only report on local databases.

So I finally use a shared SQL 2008 (non-R2) server that does have proper reporting services on it, and it still doesn’t work.  It looks like it will, Reporting Services setup went fine, but whenever I look at the reports, they’re blank.  And I notice at the bottom of the page in IE it says “error on page”.  Never a good sign.

image

Double clicking on this error gets some errors, generally from the “rsproxy” page, which mean nothing to me…

image

I also got an error that parametersController was null or not an object.  Very helpful.  Googling this got me learning too much about Reporting Services without finding anything useful.

Then I saw this Citrix article about an older version of EdgeSight which told me the problem…

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX119547

Basically, its a trailing slash in the Reporting Services URL.  In EdgeSight, I clicked Configure, then Reporting Services, Report Server, took the end slash off the URL, entered my password and clicked Save Changes.  The reports were recreated on the SQL box, which took a few minutes, I did an IISreset on the EdgeSight server and its all working – several weeks after I started trying! 

I like the fact this has been a known issue for Citrix since version 5.0 and the interface still doesn’t strip off any slashes at the end of the Reporting Services URL…

2 comments:

Juan Carlos said...

Many thanks for the tip, very usefull. Don't know why Citrix hasn't corrected the thing, knowing from times....

Anonymous said...

One year later and this saved my day...

Post a Comment